#1: Char and Joe’s Christmas Quilt
This queen-sized quilt was a Christmas gift from my sister and her husband; I think I got it in around 2000, give or take a year or so. They presented me with completed individual squares (each square made up of two triangles, one dark red and the other on the white/pink scale) and asked me to pick out the way I wanted them to go together. After trying out a few different patterns, I decided I liked the light squares with the red zig-zags around them.
The quilt has gotten a lot of use and is getting frayed here and there, but it’s still my main bed quilt and it looks great.
You can see the backing of the quilt here, and the machine quilting.
Since the quilt is too big to fit on the futon I used to model it, I wanted to take another, closer shot so you could see the quilt’s border.
If you’re having trouble picturing the basic square used to construct the quilt, there are four of them here, to the right of the border. They meet in the center of the lighter area.
#2: Mom’s crocheted afghan
My mother likes to crochet afghans, and here’s one she gave to me. Sometimes they are very ordered, sometimes they have variations on a theme, and other times they are more freeform, as is the case here. I throw this one on the bed when it’s particularly cold.
#3: Grandma’s square quilt
I believe this was a gift from my grandmother Mig. It’s a square quilt that doesn’t quite cover my bed, so, for the most part, I decorate my futon couch with it.
As is often the case, you can see the quilting best by looking on the reverse of the quilt.
Here’s a closer view of the front of the quilt. The quilting on the border is something else.
#4: Char’s Challenge Quilt
Some of my relatives would set quilting challenges for themselves; for instance, each of them would pick a fabric, without any reference to what the others were picking; and then they would need to make a quilt using only those fabrics. These became known as the ‘kill or cure’ challenges, and this quilt was the one my sister made for the final such challenge. The quilt is beautiful, but if you look at the individual fabrics, you will see that making them work together would be tricky. (I think my sister might have hand-dyed some of them, which was allowed, but even so …)
I wanted to give a bit of a close-up to allow you to better see the fabrics that were used.
#5: Jake’s Knitted Blanket
This is based on a Debbie Bliss pattern from her ‘Great Knits for Kids’. At some point in 2006 I happened across a sale on Aunt Lydia’s Denim Quick Crochet Yarn, and I bought six or seven giant spools of it; then, when I got it home, I realized I would have to figure out what to do with it, and panicked a bit. Well, this pattern definitely was good for getting through a bunch of it. I also threw in a couple of hundred-yard skeins of Rowan Denim, one black and one blue.
I started knitting this in May of 2006 and finished it the following January, eight months of fairly steady knitting. It got a little dispiriting towards the middle, but I managed to power through.
One feature of Rowan denim yarn is that it fades and shrinks after washing, sort of like a pair of jeans would; you can see that at work in the two stripes of Rowan denim I used here.The Aunt Lydia’s denim yarn that made up the bulk of this project doesn’t do that.
You can also see in a bit more detail all the cable stitches that drove me crazy for the eight months I spent knitting this thing.
The stripes were originally black and dark blue, as can be seen in this photo, which I took just after I finished knitting the blanket.
#6: Jake’s Quilt
I’ve only made one quilt in my life, and here it is. The idea for the pattern occurred to me one day, so I sketched it out, and, with the help of my mother, made it. It’s a couple of feet square and not really useful for anything, so I hang it on the wall of my apartment.